Monday, March 30, 2009

Toffee

I love when you come across a blog of some unknown person, you have a question for them (generally about food or crafts), and they actually reply. That was the case for me when I came across this recipe for toffee at Skip to my Lou. This lady was so nice. I asked if she knew how long it took to boil the sugar and butter because I didn't have a candy thermometer (I made two mistakes that day, and thought I might ask for help). She told me the candy thermometer was cheap and I should get one. I'm glad I did because this was sooooo easy. You have sugar, butter, and vanilla, top with some chocolate, you're ready.
Go!


Alice Belle’s World’s Best English Toffee Recipe

(from skiptomylou.org)

2 sticks of butter
1 1/3 cups white sugar
3 Tablespoons water
1/2 Cup nuts (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 - 1 1/2 Cups chocolate chips (milk chocolate is best but semi-sweet is good also)

First, line a large jelly roll pan with foil so that there is some hanging over the edges.
Melt butter in a sauce pan and add the sugar and water. Mix well, and heat at med-high until it reaches 300 degrees (this will take a little while, but you NEED a candy thermometer. Be aware that between 285-300 the temperature rises rapidly, so you need to be constantly stirring to avoid burning).
I don't use nuts, but if you like nuts, add them at this time, and remove from heat. Immediately pour entire mixture into the lined jelly roll pan, and sprinkle chocolate chips over the entire thing.
Allow the chips a few minutes to melt (about 3-5 minutes), then smooth the melted chocolate over the entire toffee.
Cool completely in the refrigerator, then remove from the foil, and break.

No comments:

Post a Comment