Monday, August 31, 2009

Strawberry Tart with Coconut Crust

I think it is becoming a bad habit of mine to NOT plan desserts. I forget to buy ingredients, and I end up making something based solely on what we have in the fridge and cupboards. That has happened several times recently when we've had dinner with friends (either when we're having guests, or we are the guests). Luckily, I keep a well-stocked cupboard (sometimes).

I love strawberries, and I love coconut, so when I found this little recipe while flipping with fury through some cookbooks, I knew it would be perfect.



Strawberry Tart with Coconut Crust
inspired by Gold Medal Simple Spring Desserts, No. 36

Coconut Pastry (see below)
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese
3/4 C. marshmallow creme
3 1/2 C berries (I used strawberries, but you could also do an assortment)

Coconut Pastry
1 C. all-purpose flour
3/4 cup shredded coconut
6 T. butter, softened
2 T. sugar
1 egg yolk


Heat oven to 350. Blend all pastry ingredients together. Place pastry onto a pizza stone, and form into a circle about 11 inches in diameter. Press firmly and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool completely.

While pastry is cooling, wash and slice strawberries.

Mix together softened cream cheese and marshmallow creme until smooth. Spread over the crust, and top with the strawberries.

Sare's notes:
1. The original recipe called for an apricot preserve spread to top the whole thing, but I think it tasted just fine like this.

2. The recipe also used a variety of berries as well as kiwi fruit (really pretty), but, alas, I only had strawberries.


mmm strawberries.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! That looks so good my mouth is watering now!

    www.tiramisura.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! I can't wait til Strawberries are more in season so I can make that!

    http://prowsrecipes2009.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete