Saturday, January 23, 2010

Power Pancakes

These pancakes are amazing! I've always preferred waffles to pancakes. I really don't know why, they are basically the same thing just made differently. A few nights ago, I was searching through my cookbook for a dinner recipe when I stumbled upon this pancake recipe. It was given to me by my old Jazzercise instructor, so I knew it was probably healthy. Maybe that was the reason I had never made it before. Honestly, I had never looked at the recipe, but I love having a homemade breakfast on Saturday morning, so I thought it would be worth a shot. Amazing! Not only are these pancakes tasty, filling, delicious, healthy, moist, incredible, but the whole family loved them as well. We don't need to be ashamed for eating stuff that is healthy. My husband even said that if I ever make pancakes, it needs to be these. These definitely are Power Pancakes...I feel like Mrs. Incredible already.


Power Pancakes

by Jan Hennefer (original source? not sure, but she gave me the recipe)



1 1/2 C uncooked oatmeal
2 C buttermilk (or sub by adding a teaspoon of lemon juice to regular milk and let sit)
3 egg whites
1 C whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 TBSP brown sugar

Mix oatmeal with buttermilk and allow to rest in fridge overnight or for 30 minutes.
In separate bowl (or stand mixer), beat those egg whites until they form peaks.
In another bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients (wheat flour, baking soda and brown sugar). Add oatmeal/buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture until completely blended. Gently fold in the egg whites so that they don't lose their fluffiness. (do not overmix). (if it looks too runny, add a little more wheat flour).

Ladle onto a hot (pre-greased) griddle or frying pan. Flip when the underside is golden.

makes approx. 16 medium pancakes (or about 8 ginormous ones...that's just how I roll)

Sare's notes:
1. This recipe doesn't contain oil or butter (you probably noticed that already), so it is crucial to spray your cooking surface. I love butter and think it is wonderful, but the absence of oiliness really makes for a nice fluffy pancake without the greasey aftertaste. If you MUST have your butter, put a pat on top when the pancake is still warm.




This one definitely needs more whipped cream, but my husband has been eating it with cookies this week..gosh!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I totally want to try those. We made some pancakes with real buttermilk for the first time a few weeks ago and have had them every Saturday morning since. Perhaps we'll try this version for NEXT Saturday- then I could eat one without being 'off plan'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pancakes sound so yummy! I usually don't eat pancakes because they aren't very filling and once you put on the toppings they can be quite full of sugar. These are a different story though! I'm definitely going to try these out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete