Thursday, June 17, 2010

Striped Ice Cream Sorbet Cake

There are very few times in the history of my food-making life when I have wanted an awesome recipe, found it, and made it less than 24 hours later (unless of course it is simple as can be, and all ingredients are already in the pantry).  This was one of those moments.  And I did not have everything handy.  A lot, but not everything. I sent my husband out first thing in the morning to get the remaining ingredients.

I am not a huge cake-eater.  I will eat cake at birthday parties, but it isn't really the type of thing I make just for the heck of it.  But I love ice cream cakes.  I remember seeing them at the store when I was younger, always wanting one for my birthday.  I didn't get one until I graduated from college.  I never realized how easy they are to make until I made this last weekend.  Easy, but time consuming.  Sort of.  Spread a layer, wait two hours. Spread a layer, wait two hours, spread a layer, wait at least 6 hours, if not more.  But it was worth it, in my opinion.  This one is kind of like a frozen peach melba.  This dessert will definitely win you some points with family and friends.  Great for Father's Day, Fourth of July, neighborhood BBQ, a birthday (maybe I will do this for son #2's birthday this year).
Thank you Martha (or rather, Martha's team of awesome foodies).  You've done it again!


Striped Ice Cream Sorbet Cake
adapted from Martha Stewart Living July 2010



Angel Food Sheet Cake (see recipe below)
1 cup berry preserves
2 pints vanilla ice cream, softened
1 pint raspberry sorbet, softened
1 pint peach sorbet, softened

Angel Food Sheet Cake
(makes one 13x17-inch sheet cake)
vegetable oil cookig spray
parchment paper
12 large egg whites, room temp
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/4 Cups superfine sugar, divided
1 C all purpose flour
dash of salt

Preheat over to 350.  Spray sheet pan, line with parchment, and spray parchment (do this.  It will make life easier). Whisk whites on medium speed in a mixer until soft peaks form (I really don't know exactly how long this should be). Slowly add 3/4 C of the sugar, and continue whisking about 3 minutes, until glossy.  With the remaining 1/2 C sugar, sift with the flour & pinch of salt over the egg white mixture, and fold (I use a rubber scraper for this part) until just combined.  Do not overmix because you will deflate the whites (just be careful).  Spread batter evenly over the baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.  Let the cake cook completely in the pan on a wire rack (cake should pull away from sides easily). Slide cake out from shee, right side up, and cut it in half cross-wise to form two 8 1/2x13-inch pieces.  Carefully remove the parchment from cake.


Assembling the Ice Cream Sorbet Cake
Use plastic wrap to line a 9x13-inch baking dish (let some of the plastic hang over the sides so it is easy to remove), and place half of the sheet cake in the bottom of the dish. Spread it with jam. Mix the ice cream in a heavy duty mixer with the paddle attachment to make smooth and spreadable (not melted).  Spread over the jam.  Plave in freezer until firm (min. 1 hour).  Repeat with raspberry sorbet (mix, spread, freeze).  This time freeze for 2 hours.  Now with the peach sorbet mix, spread, place other sheet cake layer on top, wrap in plastic now, and freeze. This time, you will want to freeze it, at the absolute minimum, 6 hours.  More is definitely better.  The original recipe says to freeze it overnight (and when it says that, I think of a minimum of 6 hours).  Remove from freezer, remove top plastic wrap and turn the cake over onto a cutting board.  Unwrap and trim around the edges (edges won't have all of the layers, but still eat it by all means). Slice cake and serve immediately.


Sare's Notes
1. You can make this even easier by buying a boxed angel food cake (just add water), but why would you do that?
2. Make it dairy free by only using sorbets.  Wouldn't that be pretty with all bright colors?  Of you could do all ice creams, or sherbets.  Or you could use different cake, or brownie....Endless possibilities.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Sarah! All your food is looking so good! I seriously need to make some of these! Hope you guys are great!

    ReplyDelete