Friday, June 10, 2011

Apple Cranberry Crisp and Review

Several months ago, I mentioned an upcoming review. And this post has actually been in need of some editing for quite some time. I know you've been on the edge of your seat to see what I was going to say.  I apologize for the delay.  Earlier this year, my family was stricken with many an illness.  Within this whole cycle of sickness, I decided to do some early spring cleaning (HA!  And now it is almost summer).  In that process, I got rid of 15 garbage bags worth of stuff that had cluttered my life.  I decided, if it wasn't helping me, it's getting the boot.

Happily, many things have remained with me.  Only useful things, mind you.  Among those which I have found most useful recently, is this handy little numberThe Microplane 45000 Gourmet Coarse Grater. A friend recommended this brand to me, so when I had the chance, I snatched one up from CSN, and I have not turned back.  My old hand held grater was probably never as sharp as this new one.

The grater comes with a sheath, keeping it protected in the knife drawer, or whichever gadget location of choice.  So far, I've used it on hard cheese, semi soft cheese, and for zesting oranges, but I know it also works well for grating chocolate.

The friend who recommended this wonderful gadget moved away and left me with some cranberries.  I did a quick search and found this recipe which turned out pleasingly sweet and tart.  So great, in fact, that I didn't get a picture of the end result.  Pictures of the process will have to do.




Apple Cranberry Crisp
by Emeril via Martha Stewart Recipes

unsalted butter for baking dish
  • 2 1/2 - 3 pounds sweet, firm apples, such as Gala or Braeburn, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
  • 12 ounces cranberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
  • Crisp Topping (see below)
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
  2. In a large bowl, combine apples, cranberries, sugar, flour, vanilla, and orange zest and juice. Transfer to baking dish and sprinkle with topping.
  3. Bake until topping is browned and juices are thick and bubbling around edges, 55 to 60 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.

    you can use fresh or frozen berries and there is no need to defrost before using.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, I forgot I gave you those cranberries. I'm glad they found a new home. And I'm glad you finally experienced the beauty that is the Microplane grater. :)

    ReplyDelete