Thursday, January 7, 2010

Roasted Chicken with Spiced Yogurt Marinade

Wow...it seems that I go MIA quite frequently when it comes to this blog. My apologies. I have a lot of excuses....November, December.....but enough about me. Being the New Year, it is time to resolve to be better, and so I might not get the pictures placed with recipes, but I will be placing more of the recipes I have used in this handy little blog.

The original purpose of this blog wasn't to produce any fanfare or to show off my skills, because as far as cooking goes, my skills are pretty limited. Rather it is a blog of recipes I have tested that have past the test of my husband and myself (and sometimes our little boys...the ultimate test). I hope that those reading this blog also give some of the recipes a try.

So I apologize about lack of pictures in this post and the ones that I plan on posting in the future. I will eventually put pictures with recipes, but for now, I have to get these amazing recipes posted before I lose the sources.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This recipe is amazing and simple. The perfect thing for people who enjoy Indian-inspired flare. Most of the ingredients are basic to a cook with a well-stocked spice rack. Overnight marinating allows the flavors to sink in and keep the chicken tender and moist. I cannot say enough about this dish. It was delectable, and paired very well with couscous (recipe coming soon). It was so delicious, I didn't have time to get a picture...maybe next time.

Roasted Chicken with Spiced-Yogurt Marinade
adapted from marthastewart.com (or July 2008 LIVING)


1 whole chicken cut into pieces or bone-in, skin-on pieces (equal to 5-6 lbs.)
Marinade
1 C plain yogurt
3 T fresh lemon juice
3 T extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped (1/2 C)
1/4 packed fresh mint leaves
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 strips lemon zest (each 2 inches long...I used a carrot peeler for this)
1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t hot paprika (I only had regular paprika)
1/2 t ground coriander
1/4 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t ground ginger

Blend all marinade ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Immediately rub into the chicken pieces, using all of the marinade. Place chicken in marinating tub or ziploc bag and allow to marinate overnight. Do not discard any of the marinade.

Preheat oven to 350.

Place chicken in a shallow glass dish (or if you have a roasting pan, that is probably great too). Cover with foil.

Roast for about 1 hour and 30 minutes. During the last 15 minutes or so, turn the heat up to 450 to crisp the chicken a bit. Use an instant read thermometer to make sure the chicken is ready.

Allow 10 minutes for chicken to cool enough to carve.

Serve with Couscous.

Use marinade drippings as gravy on the chicken and couscous (don't let that yummy stuff go to waste, please!)

No comments:

Post a Comment