Friday, June 3, 2011

Corn and Black Bean Quinoa

I just started receiving fresh organic produce a few weeks ago from a company that delivers right to your door.  Pretty awesome. (I am not going to give a huge plug for them or anything, but for anyone interested, I can give you a code to get you $5 off if you sign up and mention that I sent you)

I am still weighing the value of it all, but in addition to the great fruits and veggies we've received, the box also has a list of recipes.  I gave this recipe a try when we were going to a graduation party for one of my husband's (vegetarian) sisters.  Everyone loved it. One cousin even asked for the recipe.  I'd say that's a success.  I guess you can call this a salad.  It works well as a side dish for a summer party, but it would also serve as a main dish for those hot summer nights, which we will hopefully be receiving soon. Please, use fresh corn in this. My husband is anti-canned corn, so I didn't really have a choice, but I don't regret it either.



Corn and Black Bean Quinoa
from Farm Fresh to You

1 Cup uncooked Quinoa
1 can black beans, rinsed (or about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper (I used orange and the color was wonderful)
2-3 ears of corn, cooked and cut from the ear
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
2 TBSP red-wine vinegar
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/3 cup olive oil


Cook the quinoa in 2 cups of water in a 1 1/2 quart saucepan and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all the water is absorbed (about 15 minutes).  Allow quinoa to cool.

Soak black beans in the vinegar until ready to use (you can use more vinegar if you like).  Drain beans, leaving a little bit of the vinegar if desired, and mix together quinoa, beans, corn, bell pepper, and cilantro.  Toss well.

In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, salt, and cumin, whisk quickly while pouring in the olive oil.  Pour into the quinoa salad evening, and add salt and pepper to taste.

Double the recipe for serving at BBQs and picnics

No comments:

Post a Comment