Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Warm Arugula and Mushroom Salad

Sometimes, I get inspired.  I mean really inspired...with food.  I was in one of my favorite little stores recently, and I grabbed a bag of arugula.  I never buy arugula, but I thought, why not.  When I got it home, I noticed a recipe on the bag.  I had everything except the goat cheese.  I know goat cheese, it's pretty incredible stuff, one of those ingredients that, if it is included, it pretty much canNOT be replaced, removed, or otherwise ignored.  I don't know if it was the next day, or just a handful of days later, but I returned to Trader Joe's and purchased some goat cheese.

This dish came together so quickly, and disappeared almost as fast.  The meatiness of mushrooms really helps when making vegetarian dishes.  Beware though.  If you have leftovers, they will shrink.  Or maybe you've just forgotten that you've been sneaking bites now and then.


Warm Arugula and Mushroom Salad
adapted from Trader Joe's

7oz. Trader Joe's Organic Arugula
6 oz portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced (or other mushrooms of choice, I used cremini)
1 Tbsp. minced shallots
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar (I used fig balsamic vinegar)
1/2 Cup crumbled goat chees
3 Tbsp. Pine nuts, lightly toasted (optional)

Saute shallots in olive oil until soft.  Add mushrooms and continue to saute until browned.  Toss mushrooms with arugula in large bowl. Add balsamic vinegar to coat, sprinkle with toasted pine nuts, and top with goat cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment