Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Coconut Ice Cream Pie With Mango Puree

Sometimes inspiration is a result of necessity. Two weeks ago, Saturday was a very busy (and hot!) day. We had a lot to do, and there was no time to go to the store. Around 8:30 that night, I remembered that I didn't know what I was going to do about dessert for our Sunday dinner (we were having guests). I was a little worried. I didn't want to bake anything because it was hot. Even at 8:30 at night, we were still roasting, and even on a good day, our little kitchen turns into instant inferno when you turn on the oven.

So, non-baked dessert...hmm. I started checking the fridge, freezer, and cupboards. Ice cream, coconut milk, ground pecans, mango...hmmm.

I like to try experiments that I know will work, and for the most part, I had total confidence in this one, at least flavor-wise. I am always nervous about ice cream actually freezing. But this worked and it was an awesome, cool summer treat. Even though Asher didn't seem to notice when I gave him some the next day. He had his priorities, I guess.




Coconut Ice Cream Pie with Mango Puree
by Sare (that's me!)

1/2 Carton of Vanilla Ice cream (approximately 4 measured cups)
1 can Coconut Milk (do NOT use low fat)

Crust:
1 C. pecans, ground (use a food processor)
1 C. rice krispies, ground
1/2 C. (1 stick), butter, melted
2 T. brown sugar

topping:
1 C. mango, chopped
2 T. sugar
3 T. water

garnish:
toasted coconut flakes

I almost don't need to put actual directions here, do I? But for good measure, I will let you know the process. Soften ice cream slightly by sitting it on the counter while you gather everything else.

Grind the pecans,rice krispies, and sugar in a food processor until pieces are small, but not completely dusty. In a medium bowl, melt a stick of butter and mix in the ground mixture. Press into an 8 or 9 inch pie pan/plate and set aside.

With a whisk paddle attachment, mix together the coconut milk and softened ice cream (do NOT allow ice cream to completely melt.) Mix at a low setting until smooth, but not runny. (If you don't have a large stand mixer, use a large spoon and mix by hand). Pour into the pie crust and wrap with foil. Allow to freeze overnight, or at least 6 hours.

Before serving, remove from freezer to soften slightly, and make your mango puree. Mix mango, sugar, and water in a food processor until desired consistency. Serve each piece of pie with a spoonful of puree and toasted coconut flakes.

Sare's Notes:
1. Pie Crust can be altered to be completely gluten-free. Replace rice krispies with either a gluten-free cereal, or more pecans. I was just working with what I had.
2. This would really taste good with any fruit pureed on top, but we love mangoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment