Monday, July 20, 2009

Funnel Cake

I apologize for my lack of posts lately. We've been pretty busy (and I have a "post-a-day challenge" on my regular blog). Pure neglect. I am so sorry. I promise, I will try to be better.

Last week, we went with a few friends to the fair. I haven't been in years. I want to make it a summer tradition, and food must always play a role in tradition, right? One of our last stops at the fair, was a sweet, warm, funnel cake, topped with strawberries, and powdered sugar. Mmmm. Do you know how much those babies with cost you? Plain (just powdered sugar), $6, "Strawberries Supreme," a whopping $8.50! My friend Heather said, on our way home, that these have to be just basic ingredients, so I was determined to find a recipe.

Not only are the ingredients basic, but the whole thing was really easy, and ready in minutes. Now we can have the county fair goodness whenever we want. Maybe we will do a "Carnival" or "Family Fair Night."


Funnel Cakes
from momswhothink.com


1 egg
2/3 C milk (plus 2 T.)
2 T. sugar
1 1/4 C. all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder

vegetable oil


Pour enough oil into a deep, 9-inch skillet, so that the oil is about an inch or two deep. Heat on med-high heat until hot, but not bubbling (test with a pinch of flour. If it sizzles away without smoking, it is ready).

Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a smaller bowl, beat together milk and egg until blended. Mix into the dry ingredients until completely mixed.

Using a funnel, pour batter into the hot oil, in a web-like formation, starting from the middle and working out.

Heat for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip, and heat another minute or so, until completely cooked. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, or add other toppings as desired (fresh fruit works very well). This made about 3 8-inch cakes.

Sare's Notes
1. I added the extra 2 Tbsp of milk to the recipe because it wasn't pouring through the funnel.
2. If you don't have a funnel, you could transfer the batter to a freezer bag, and cut a small hole in one of the corners, and squeeze it through.
3. I think it would be fun to experiment with other shapes (instead of the "web-like" formation), maybe flowers, hearts, stars, letters, circles, squares, etc, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment